TMD – Temporomandibular Disorder
If you have it, you’ll probably know it! The jaw getting stuck, or clicking when talking or chewing, in conjunction with tenderness in the jaw and crushing earaches and/or headaches, sometimes radiating into the neck and shoulders…sometimes even the affected side of the face swells! Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) runs the spectrum from annoying, to disruptive, to downright scary.
How does this happen?
Science isn’t exactly clear on what causes TMD.
- Excessive strain from clenching or grinding the teeth seems to be a big culprit.
- Sometimes arthritis in the jaw or displacement of the jaw joint can cause TMD.
- And weirdly, fibromyalgia or IBS might overlap and worsen TMD!
How common is T M D?
The NIH reports that 5-12% of the population – mostly women in the 35-44 year age range – have suffered from TMD. The past-tense “have” being the applicable word here because it’s often only temporary and can be treated with simple self-care techniques. But on the rare occasion when it’s chronic, Dr. Mike Gallagher DDS reports that it can cause problems with your hearing, sleep cycle, and diet.
How to prevent T M D?
- Don’t rest your chin on your hand or your phone between your shoulder and ear. (I’m guilty of both of these!)
- Keep your teeth slightly apart.
- Learn relaxation techniques to lessen your teeth clinching compulsion.
- Practice good posture to reduce pressure on your neck.
- Avoid using your teeth as tools.
How to treat T M D at home
In addition to the prevention tips:
- Eat soft foods.
- Avoid extreme jaw movements like yawning, yelling, or singing.
- Stop chewing gum and ice. (FYI-Excessive gum chewing causes premature wrinkling around the mouth!)
- Don’t sleep on your stomach.
- Alternate cold packs and moist heat for 15 minutes several times a day
The “Hyphen” Between At-home Care and Surgery or Other Dental Remedies
If you’ve tried self-care and are still suffering, let’s try one more thing before relenting to harsh or invasive remedies…Facial Endermologie!
Facial Endermologie’s proprietary technique promotes cell repair and regeneration, which is why it results in more youthful-looking skin; relief from TMD pain is a “Happy Accident”! And it's SO relaxing; that, alone, may result in less tension in your face. One of my clients started her Facial Endermologie journey strictly to fight the signs of aging but reports that the treatments also minimize the effects of TMD; hence, the inspiration for this blog!
Aesthetics and Wellness
Whether you want to:
- Diminish the appearance of wrinkles
- Tone loose skin
- Slim Double Chins
- Improve Radiance
- OR RELIEVE TMD PAIN
Facial Endermologie has gotcha covered! Come in and give it a try! What have you got to lose, other than pain and discomfort?